Monday, January 23, 2012

Healing the Wounded Soul

The last 2 years have been some of the hardest of my life. I'm used to studying the scriptures- really studying them, digging in, but sad to say I've gone through spurts where I've tried to go it alone, meaning I haven't turned to God as much as I should.  For me studying the scriptures, any of the 4 standard works are helpful bringing in the spirit or teaching me how to respond to life, but The Book of Mormon especially does that.  It even says so in the book!

Jacob 2: 8 And it supposeth me that they have come up hither to hear the pleasing aword of God, yea, the word which healeth the wounded soul.

Jacob is a VERY righteous man.  In fact he, like many other prophets in the Old and New Testament, The Doctrine and Covenants, the Pearl of Great Price and of course The Book of Mormon had actually SEEN the Savior of the world, even Jesus Christ. (link above brings you to the list of those who have seen and talked to him from all 4 books)


Jacob is talking to his people and wants to give them good news, but he needs to call them to repentance instead of bringing them the the pleasing word of God to feast upon.  This is what he says in vs. 9:


Wherefore, it burdeneth my soul that I should be constrained, because of the strict commandment which I have received from God, to aadmonish you according to your crimes, to enlarge the wounds of those who are already wounded, instead of consoling and healing their wounds; and those who have not been wounded, instead of feasting upon the pleasing word of God have daggers placed to pierce their souls and wound their delicate minds.

One week I was overwhelmed with my life and everything I needed to do and then everything I wanted to do and I thought maybe I need to cut down on the scripture study and only do it on the weekends.  Oh, what a silly thought!  One night soon after that I read Jacob chapter 2 and realized how wrong I was.  Instead of dropping my scripture reading to almost nothing I need to drop other things.  If anyone needed healing it was me.

Reading the scriptures for me is like being healed.  Wouldn't it be wonderful to have the Master himself reach out and touch you?   The Book of Mormon can do that. If I'm really immersing myself they do that for me.  I go to bed thankful for the gospel of Jesus Christ, thankful that I have it,  that I know and understand it.  If for even just a short while my mind is put to rest or brought to higher things, the book has done at least part of what it's suppose to do.   It's done that for me, over and over again.  It could do that for you too. Feast upon the pleasing word of God and let it heal your soul!


Do you want to learn more?  Hop over to Jocelyn's Book of Mormon blog hop and read how the book has helped others! 

4 comments:

Jocelyn Christensen said...

This is so beautiful and absolutely true!!!! That Book has the power to bring us nearer to God than by any other book. And I too feel a measure of healing each time I devote myself to studying it! Thank you for this wonderful testimony!

Karm said...

One of my favorite scriptures which helped heal my soul while reading one day is just a few verses after the ones you referred to...Jacob 3:1-2

Christy said...

So true Becky!! Scriptures are what our souls truly need and long for! I love the quote that says: "If you are too busy to pray and read the scriptures, you are busier than God ever intended for you to be!" Thanks for your post!

LeAnn said...

You are so right. If we study the Book of Mormon it does give us the power to get through the day and helps us through our everyday struggles.
Loved your thoughts!