Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Grandpa Rose, my dad's dad.

I or my mother never met Grandpa rose but here is some info about the claim in Port Angeles from the last post. - Becky

My father Charles F.Rose, came out to Washington when he was a young man before he married, when they we’re harvesting lumber in the area He and his brother, William both went West. They were in Silver City, Colo. A man made a remark while eating in a tent restaurant, about Billie the kid, another man said, I'd have him hung up fast. The man said I won't have you talking about Billie the Kid that way and slapped 2 pistols down on the table, the other man started eating fast and left. I remember being told this story. Charles and his brother William , came out by the railroad most likely from Minneapolis. and spent the winter and summer in Port Angeles, Washington, which is up on the Olympic Peninsula. At that time, it was the first Port you could get into, that came in the straits, My father liked it so much he proved up on the claim and paid taxes on it all his life. The two Rose brothers had completed their training in the Plumbing trade and left to head West to try their luck at plumbing. Rolland didn’t know how long they were there, but long enough to build the cabin using small trees on the property and proved up on the land. Rolland said he can remember his mother saying, She paid taxes on that property all her life.

We visited there when we were already in the church, about 14 years old, just us twins and our parents. I got some of the gum and tried to chew it, that my father tried to make from the pine tar, but it didn’t taste very good.

The next time we came out, my Dad had died and had already given the property to the Church. I think this was in 1954, when I, Rolland moved out here to begin work for Boeing and my Mother came with me. We had asked about the area, and found out they did have a Branch and so went over to Port Angeles and saw what was happening. We looked at the property and the neighbors were no longer alive, and it had burned down. We wanted to see what the church had done with the property, The lot was too small for a church, but they took the money from the sale of the lot and invested it in a Masonic hall, that they were able to buy , it was right on the bluff, we saw the place and approved it. We did attend a meeting there, and it had a very nice assembly hall. We stayed overnight at a members home, He had an auto agency, and a very nice home.

Later the brothers decided to leave that area, Gold hadn’t been discovered in Alaska as yet, and was only a logging town, They split up, and William headed to California and Charles headed to Salt Lake City, Utah. When in SL he visited with some anti-Mormons, and he heard the story, there was a tunnel between the Temple and the Tabernacle, and was told wild tales about Mormons marrying in the Temple. I feel that he probably stayed in SLC for a winter and then headed back to Mpls.

No comments: