Sunday, April 18, 2010

Cohokia Mounds

Near St. Louis is the Cahokia Mounds, remnants of Native American's. It is the largest prehistoric Indian sight north f Mexico. It covered 4000 arces and includedd at least 120 mounds. 70 of remaining 80 are protected by the State of Illinois. Jason and I went there and looked around and climbed to the top. This of course for me screams of Book of Mormon archeology. From the top of this we could see the sky line of St. Louis.



This is another mound that we could see from the top of the temple like mound picture posted above.














From the other side of the largest mound you could see fences that they built to keep enemies out. This practice is found in The Book of Mormon.










In the visitors Center, a drawing of what life might of looked like then.












There are many of these mounds around the country, especially in the eastern part of the USA. There is evidence that these people had interaction with each other.













A comparison of other temple like mounds around the world. To the left, one in Mexico, The next Chitza- nitza, which I've been to and it seems huge, the next green one I don't remember, but of course the pyramids are from Egypt. The green mound in the front is the Cohokia mound.










This is from the internet and has markings of other mound sights around Northern America.

2 comments:

Christy Jones said...

That is way cool, I would love to see those, so much fun! I am glad you had a good time!

M said...

Very interesting! I've never heard of this site before. I'd love to visit it.